Monday, November 21, 2011

Cooke CountyWhat a fun group of ladies! I'll try to give you a brief summary of the TFRW bi-annual convention, but it was a very busy weekend. This picture was taken on Saturday. We had 12 delagates and 1 alternate from Cooke County. I guess there were about 30 ladies there from Senate District 30, and I think there were over 700 ladies attending the convention. I don't think I saw anyone who was younger than me. Probably the closest woman to my age was Lela Pittenger who is running for the US Senate in 2012. Her speach was amazing, and I might be endorsing her as my candidate to replace Kay Bailey Hutchison, but we have a ways yet to go before March. Not that my endorsement means much! Anyhow, the average age of the convention attendee was probably 55, and it does scare me that most of my generation has no clue how this stuff works. Because a lot of our time at the convention was spent on party-related business. When we weren't listening to speach after speach from candidates and elected officials, we were voting on new leaders for the TFRW. Of course I didn't really know anything about the ladies who were taking office, but I did have the chance to get a little more informed. And it really helped me to understand why we do what we do at our county-level meetings.

So some highlights from the convention for me were:
- the 6 "Occupy Fort Worth" protestors who were outside chanting nonsense at us during Donald Rumsfeld's speach.
- the party we had for our senate district in a condo on the 32nd floor.
- the fancy food.
- all the free chocolate. Why, yes I will vote for you if you give me free candy ;)
- the saddled steer for photo ops in the hotel lobby. Hello, Fort Worth!
- my wonderful roomies, Pauline and Ninia.
So, yes, I had a good time, and I learned a TON, mostly about how the system works and about all the different areas where we really can make a difference as individuals, but also about people - my own club members and all the way on up to the candidates for state and federal offices. I'm pretty sure that I'll be going again, and the next one in 2013 will be in San Antonio.

No comments: