Tuesday, January 22, 2013

I found this book at the Bowie Trade Days a couple weeks ago. An older gentleman had it in his store, and he said he has read the entire series, too. He even gave me a $1 off of the price! "Explosive Eighteen" was written by Janet Evanovich in 2011. Number 19 is already out, but I feel pretty caught up. I really liked this one. Stephanie Plum has come a long way in her dealings with the bad guys.

So how was your MLK Day? I had to work, of course. Despite what some of my teammates used to tell me in the old basketball days, I don't have an ounce of black in me. I was watching the PBS yesterday about MLK and his murderer and the riots and the reactions of white folks. It seems so far away from today, but it really wasn't all that long ago. Hopefully putting more time between then and now won't make us forget how ignorant it is to hate folks based on race. These things have always existed throughout history, though, so I'm not convinced that the ridiculousness will ever end. It seems to rise and go down like the tide. Of course Stephanie Plum's sidekick is the lovely Lula. But is it racist that Lula isn't the heroine?? What's with making the black gal play second fiddle? Just kidding. I just thought I'd participate in the ridiculous for a second. I think the tide is still going down - for now.

No comments: