Wednesday, November 21, 2018

I think maybe Kim at work gave me this book? I can't remember, but I really enjoyed it. I thought the whole time that I was reading the work of a black woman, but when I got to the back flap, I realized that the author was a white man. I'm sure he won't take offense at that. The book was good no matter what the race/gender of the author.

Thanksgiving is upon us tomorrow. That means one month from tomorrow, I will be 37. I feel at least 45, so I wonder how I'll be feeling when I really do hit 45. My best friend is 45, so maybe that's why I feel so much older. So in the spirit of Thanksgiving, I'd like to say that I am very thankful, especially on these chilly nights, that my friend doesn't have to sleep in her car any more. I'm also thankful that I don't have to sleep in a car. But I'm also thankful that I have a car to sleep in if it did come to that. Well, I mean, assuming that my boss would let me keep it. I did say that I'm driving a company car, didn't I? It's been a great blessing, but it also sort of makes me feel like I owe way more than I'm worth to the job. Speaking of the job, I'd better get going. Those background checks won't do themselves. Some of the clients have been ordering "KYC" backgrounds. Now, KFC (Kentucky Fried) I know about, but I admit, as a 13-year veteran of the investigation service, I had to look that one up. Apparently "KYC" means "Know Your Client" or "Know Your Customer". I guess I can get on board with that. It still bothers me, though, that so many folks call every person location project a "skip-trace". Tracing a "skip" is specifically when someone has skipped town after posting bail. That's not nearly the same as locating a witness or a long-lost family member. But I don't have time to educate everyone into using proper terminology. But at least now YOU know. NYK. That's perfect. Next time I send out a KYC, I'll tell them, "NYK".

No comments: