Wednesday, April 25, 2007

The Confessions of Saint Augustine - Modern English VersionThis was one of those that a person should be able to say that they've read. You know the storyline, and if you don't, you can click on the picture. The translation I read was by Hal M. Helms from 1986. I guess I found it boring because he wasn't really saying anything new. I've gone through the same questions and reached the same conclusions. I have to say, though, that when I was little and growing up, we learned in school about St. Augustine and how his mother prayed for him to repent. They made it sound like he was a wild, sin-soaked street vermin. He didn't sound so awful to me. But maybe that's a sign of the times. Sometimes it really seems that sin and darkness are winning this battle. Sources say that it'll get a WHOLE lot worse around here before it gets better. I guess we just have to be ready.

No comments: