Monday, March 31, 2008

Fr. Ken mentioned Jansenism in his homily yesterday. The way he used it, it sounded like he considered it to be a works-based theology, but, from the little I've read, it doesn't seem to be that at all. His point was about salvation and how taking the extreme where we are predestined for heaven or hell and have no responsibility of decision or actions is just as bad as taking the extreme where our works can save us, which I thought he said was the view of Jansenism. I assume that other is Calvinism, although he never said that name specifically. Anyway, from what I can see, the two are not opposites. I will have to study a bit more, though. Maybe someone can help me.

Miracles by C.S. LewisI just finished reading Miracles (1947) by C.S. Lewis for the 2nd time. I must've just skimmed over it for class the last time, because none of it was familiar. Or, maybe I've just learned quite a bit in the last few years. I dunno what I can say about it. The book needs to be read, although it's kind of difficult because it tries to stretch your mind around God. I can't even understand people; how can I comprehend God? The cool thing about Him, though, is that He never changes. Not that change is bad when it's for the better. I guess even that subtle change of persons is a miracle. All good things come from Him. Anyhow. This week looks relatively boring. This weekend is the LeTU homecoming, but I went to the Fall version, so I'm not doing it again. Sunday is our SH Alumni ranch rodeo, so that should be fun.

No comments: