Wednesday, November 26, 2008

My Friend Flicka (Wikipedia LINK)My Friend Flicka (1941) was written by Mary O'Hara. For all the details about the book, just click on the picture. I really thought that I had read this one before, but I guess I was wrong. I've seen at least 2 movie renditions of the book. Neither of those comes close to the book. Well, I mean, the story lines stick to the book, but the book has so much more meat to it that could never be captured on the screen. Anyhow, I was pleasantly surprised. I guess I expected more of a "kid" book. I should have known better since I read Thunderhead in 2006. Our quotable quote from this one:
Ken bragged about it that night at supper, but Howard said, "Nuts! She's looking for her oats, not for you."

McLaughlin answered sharply, "Oats, or the bringer-of-oats, in the long run it gets to be the same thing."

And Nell added dryly, "Are human beings any different?"
So, tomorrow we get to be thankful. The funny thing about thinking about what you're thankful for...you also start to think of the things that you WISH you could be thankful for...you know, those things that you DON'T have. And I guess that's why Black Friday follows so closely on the heels of Thanksgiving. I'm thankful for lots of things that I DON'T have. I'm thankful that I don't have a man. I'm thankful that I don't have a place of my own. I'm thankful that I don't have a 2009 fancy new vehicle. I'm thankful that I don't have...well, ok, so a million $$ would be kinda nice...hee hee.

No comments: