Sunday, November 06, 2011

Lake TexomaI think this picture is from 1988. It's me and my grandparents, Mildred & Henry (mom's parents), and we're fishing at Lake Texoma at the Fobb Bottom camping area. It's a little too cold for that now, but I don't think I got in a lake at all this summer. With the draught, they kept talking about the bacteria or algae being dangerous for one's health, so everyone stayed away. Just a fun picture.

So, last night I watched an old movie from 1970, "Love Story". It won an Oscar and was quite popular at the time, but I found it devoid of any meaningful substance whatsoever. That's pretty harsh, I know. The story made sense, their relationship was strong, but the memorable line is "love means never having to say you're sorry." That's just ridiculous. If you start with that broken premise, then the rest is sure to take you nowhere. I think I was supposed to take Oliver's side, but I was so hoping that he'd make amends with his father and swallow his juvenile pride. But I guess the movie represents what happens more often than not in the real world. Sad.

1 comment:

Janette said...

The best part of the whole movie came at the end while watching the credits, and realizing that a young "Tom Lee Jones" was in the movie. I think it might have been his first part in a movie. He was 23 or 24, and he played the part of Hank Simpson, one of Oliver's (Ryan O'Neal) college buddies or dorm-mates. The part was brief and I never would have seen him, but as soon as Sarah saw his name in the credits, she knew where to go back to look for him; she had spotted him as someone familiar. His hair was jet-black and thick. Oh, Tommy! I love him in so many movies, but my two favories are: The Fugitive (1993) with Harrison Ford (another Honey of mine!), and Lonesome Dove (1989) with Robert Duvall (Swoon!). Love Story came out in 1970. I was in the 5th Grade. If I watched it back then, I don't remember. I do remember my classmates saying how sad it was. It was pretty sad, alright, but not because anyone died...