Tuesday, December 06, 2011

Sharia Law"Sharia Law for Non-Muslims" (2010) by the Center for the Study of Political Islam is a very short (47-page) book explaining Sharia Law and how it affects us, the Kafirs, a/k/a the unbelievers. It tells about how Islam is a political system as well as a religion. I don't think any of it was new material for me, and there were a couple points that I didn't find to be, well, true. On Page 8 was the most notable one. It says, "Jewish law has nothing to say about non-Jews and explicitly says that the law of the land trumps halakha [Jewish religious law]." I mean, I don't know much about the Jewish laws, but I know that the Bible gives all sorts of info on how to treat the foreigner. Now, most of those involve treating them well as opposed to how Sharia Law requires that they be treated as a 3rd class citizen. But I wouldn't say that it has NOTHING to say about it. Plus, when I looked up the word "halakha" on Wikipedia, it says that "Halakha guides not only religious practices and beliefs, but numerous aspects of day-to-day life." I'm not sure where the author saw that the law-of-the-land-trumping statement, but my first thought is that is a new covenant idea. Jesus said to "Render therefore to Caesar the things that are Caesar’s, and to God the things that are God’s.” I do not think this was a Jewish idea, because they also had a religious state...or at least they wished they still had one. In any case, I don't think that sentence should have gone in the book. That, or the author should have clarified it better. But the rest of the book would probably be helpful to someone with questions on Sharia.

No comments: