Wednesday, May 09, 2012

Dona Nobis Pacem Pacem
Dooooonaaa nooobis paaaacem

lol

What I mean is, first of all, that I was watching an episode of M*A*S*H yesterday, and they were singing that song (the lyrics of which of course mean "Give us peace"). And it did make me giggle 'cause the word "pacem" sounds so much like "potch him". Potch is a local/family word for spank. The wise internet says that it's a Yiddish word. Anyway, I remember many times hearing, "I'm going to potch you!" So when I hear "potch him", it just kinda strikes me as funny.

Just like prayers for peace. And prayers for the safety of all soldiers. They sorta make me...well, not giggle, but...yeah. It's not something I can say "amen" to with any amount of faith. Jesus said that He did not come to bring peace on the earth. Why then should we expect it? It's okay to want it, but should we even be asking for it?

I was also watching "Miss Congeniality" the other day, and of course all the Miss United States contestants were saying that they wanted "world peace". Except of course for Gracie Lou Freebush who said that she wanted harsher punishment for parole violators...*silence*...and WORLD PEACE~! Applause... Would not her original answer have led to more peace? It's possible. I just luuuuve that scene 'cause we were THERE that same day that they shot that scene along the River Walk in San Antonio! Anyway, at the end of the movie, when they give her the Miss Congeniality award for being runner-up in the pageant/scholarship program, she gets all emotional and says, "I really DO want world peace!"

Don't we all.

No comments: