Monday, February 19, 2018

I have recently started driving this 2018 GMC Terrain. I have waited until the odometer rolled over the 1,000 mile-marker to make my comments. Overall, I think that it is a fine vehicle. However, it's only about 60% vehicle while the other 40% is computer. Of course I am moving up from a 2011 Ford Fusion, so there have been some changes in technology within the past 7 years. With keyless entry and keyless starting, there is a lot for me to get used to. And change is difficult. It's not all bad, but I'd like to point out a few things that drive me a little crazy while I'm trying to, well, drive. Alright, so for starters, the push-button starting is okay, but it's not helpful. Obviously the key (fob) has to be inside the car for the button to work, so I still have to carry around and remember a key. And it's a lot harder to remember a key that doesn't have a specific place to go (in the ignition). I just don't see that my life is any easier because of the push-button starting. The car won't let you lock your keys inside - if you do, it "beep-beeps" at you as you walk away, and it automatically unlocks itself. To me, this is the car solving an issue THAT IT CAUSED FOR ITSELF by not requiring the key to be in my hand when I enter and exit the vehicle. It also has push-button shifting, and that is annoying. I still think that a shifter on the steering column is the best option. I shouldn't have to look down to find the right button for shifting. Up-down, back-forth, that lets me know exactly which gear I'm in, but a little light below my radio is not convenient at all. Of course, when it comes to gears, the reverse gear includes a backup camera, and that's a pretty cool device. So here's something that's a little difficult to explain - the car's engine shuts off when I come to a complete stop. When I take my foot off of the brake, the engine comes back on. I'm fairly sure that this is some government-inspired emissions trick, and it is only mildly annoying. If I switch too quickly from brake to gas after being stopped, the take-off is not smooth. This has made me be even more conservative with my acceleration after a stoplight (and someday that's going to get me shot by some impatient road-rager). Also, when I pull in somewhere to park, and my engine has shut off, my brain assumes that my car has been turned off. So when I take my foot off the brake to exit the vehicle, there goes my car rolling away. But when I put the car in "Park", the engine turns back on just in time for me to hit the "Engine" button to turn it off again. Off-On-Off... But I discovered that I can simply turn off the car directly from having it in "Drive", and it will be magically in "Park" when I turn it back on. It's the only logical solution to having the engine come back to life before I park the thing, but doesn't that sound a bit unconventional to not put it in "Park" before turning it off?? Then there's the computer which works with my smartphone for navigation and music (no CD player in this machine). Even if I don't plug in my phone, the car takes control and forces me to do hands-free calling. What if I have someone in the car with me who doesn't need to hear my entire conversation?? It will read my text messages out loud to me, but again, that's only handy if I'm alone in the car. So the car, being a computer, has user accounts, and the car will remember multiple users' settings for temperature, radio settings, seat settings (beware - the seats will do strange things on their own!), side-view mirror settings... It can recognize the users by key fob or by phone. The trouble I've found with this system is that I'm the only user, and I don't need those silly options. When I start the car, it takes it a few seconds to decide that I'm the user in stead of the "Guest" account, and it those few seconds, the default radio station tries to start playing. This drives me batty! How can I tell the car that it's just me - that it's always going to be just me?! They tell me that the settings I have in this car would remember me if I got into another new vehicle of the same make/model, like say if I got a rental. The app on my phone would tell the car who I am. Ummm...who needs that?? Maybe I'll find out someday that I needed it all along, but it's been years since I've rented a vehicle, and I know that you don't always get the type of vehicle that you request at the rental place, so I dunno what they're thinking. Not to mention the fact that with a car that knows so much about me across the computer waves, obviously the government will have more access to all of my data. Not that they couldn't already track me with my smart phone. But a smart car on top of it? When you go to the dealership and have to download 2 apps before you ever even drive the vehicle, something is so very wrong!! I have some other minor complaints such has the way the side-view mirrors are a funny shape which makes me constantly think that cars are sneaking up on me. I've felt the transmission hiccup a few times at lower speeds (15 MPH), but for some reason that is comforting. It's good to know that it's still just a car.

So what would I change if I could? I definitely would have a gear-shifter on the steering column. I would have only one user account in the system with the ability to delete the "Guest" account. I would change the shape of the side-view mirrors. But the keyless stuff and the engine dying at stops, none of that really bothers me as much as I thought it would when I first started driving it. The computer system has frozen on me a few times already, but I know enough about computers to get it going again. But I would definitely like it to be a little more consistent. Maybe it will work better when I stop asking it to do more than it can handle. And maybe a new smartphone (NOOO!!) would be helpful. I wonder how it works with an iPhone vs. Android... I, of course, am an Android person. To be specific, I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S6, AT&T. It will be VERY interesting to see what sorts of technical problems show up as the car ages. So I guess that's my review for now. New stuff is fun, but I miss just being able to get in and drive.

3 comments:

Janette said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Janette said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Janette said...

Rats. I was just going to try again! It looks worse to see that I deleted. Ugh! I originally said, "Hi Sarah! I enjoyed reading your review..." on your new car! Have you shared this with the car company? It would be good if you did. But everything is double spaced and I can't fix it. Sigh. It will probably fix itself later? Now I feel so dumb. I haven't signed in to Blogger in years!