Monday, December 27, 2021

Perfectly Yourself: Discovering God's Dream for You
Yeow... It has certainly been awhile since I've checked in here. I won't ask if you've missed me... So this first book, Perfectly Yourself: Discovering God's Dream for You, by Matthew Kelly, wasn't really my cup of tea. I'm definitely no closer to determining His dream for me. I guess I got the book free from church, so that had to be several years ago. I'm not sure when I last went to church (other than a funeral or two). I do remember what happened that day. I went to Friendship Church in Saint Jo, and I didn't want to park across the street and have to say "good morning" to five crossing guards before I even got in the door, so I parked in the back. I thought I was being clever and parking out of everyone's way, but I ended up getting my car stuck in the mud. A couple of men-folk had to rescue me. It makes for a good story, I guess, but I didn't appreciate it so much. Post-COVID, I had been going to the cemetery on Sunday mornings to read my Bible and try to pray, but after one of those sessions I ran over Thomas the cat. Yeah, I know, it could have happened on any day surrounded by any activity, but since it came after my feeble attempt to seek the Lord, it really leaves a bitter taste, ya know? 
The Woman at the Light
Both of these next two books sure like to dwell on RACE. The Woman at the Light (Joanna Brady) tells the story of forbidden love with a runaway slave. It's entertaining enough. I don't remember much else about it except that it took a long time for me to get through it.
Picture Perfect
And this last book, Picture Perfect (Jodi Picoult), is partially about a half-breed Indian trying to find his place in the world amid racial strife and partially about a woman who marries a movie star who turns out to be abusive. The end is way too neat and tidy, but most of the middle of the book isn't all that bad - if you can get past the slightly-confusing beginning when the main character has amnesia. And it also starts out with so much racial "blah-blah-blah" that I wasn't sure it was worth my time. But it was alright. Judging by the White Oak High School sticker, the book must've come from Momma G in Longview. Now there's a blast from the past.

No comments: