Thursday, February 23, 2023

Eeesh - it has been over a year since I last posted.  You know, life and stuff...  I show up where I need to be, do my job, and go home.  That’s why I have gotten so behind on these book reviews.  Computer work isn't as fun as it used to be.

You Dropped A Blonde On Me, Dakota Cassidy, 2010

This one was mildly entertaining.  It told a pretty good story, but sometimes the foul language was distracting.  If I remember correctly, the main character was right around age 40, which was my age at the time when I was reading the story, so that is quite à propos.  But most of it I couldn't identify with too much.  Being a trophy wife.  Finding love.  Yeah, all of that good stuff.  Also, I'm pretty sure that the author is a red-head, and I can't say that she totally gets the essence of being blonde.  Ha.


Touched With Fire, John Tebbel, 1952

I do enjoy older books.  My copy didn't have the dust jacket shown here.  This book tells the fictional story of René-Robert Cavelier, Sieur de La Salle (a/k/a LaSalle) and his voyage down the Mississippi River.  It's based on the real LaSalle's 1682 trip down the river, but it focuses on LaSalle's right-hand-man's perspective.  Can you imagine - 340 years ago on this continent??  It's not a romanticized version of how it might have been.  The constant struggles are what make this book.  Sometimes it was a little slow-paced, but I liked it alright.


Rebel With A Cause: Finally Comfortable Being Graham, Franklin Graham, 1995

So, a little backstory...  I think it was just last Summer (feels like ages ago) when my desk was so full of CRAP that I ended up paying some bills late because they disappeared in to the fray.  After that, I started answering every single begging letter that I'd been getting with "Please remove me from your mailing list!!!"  One of those was Samaritan’s Purse.  I have no problems with the work they do, and I have given to them in the past, but I had reached my limit in the junk mail department.  Franklin Graham answered my request for removal with a letter and this book.  It is worth noting that Mr. Graham's organization was the only one that acknowledged my request.  Pretty much all I knew about Franklin Graham was that he got kicked out of my alma mater, LeTourneau University.  I had heard stories about why he was expelled, so I was really looking forward to that part of the book.  Well, surprise, surprise...  The reason was NOT what the rumors had claimed.  I had heard something about how he had given the Flooders their name by being part of the flooding incident that gave them their name.  NOPE!  But I'm not going to tell you the real story.  You'll have to read the book!


I Could Pee on This Too: And More Poems By More Cats, Francesco Marciuliano, 2016

My co-worker Kim gave me this book.  I dunno if cats can write poems.  Speaking of cats, I currently have 8 of them:  Mattie Ross, Mrs. Brown, Punkin Head, Clifford, Frosty, Sparkles, Nikki, and Special Favorite (a/k/a Rosie).  It's kind of a lot.  I also found out that Chester, my original cat, is living at someone else's house a block away.  He'd rather be an only-cat-child, so I can't really blame him for abandoning me.  He never peed on my stuff the way Mrs. Brown does.

Can I Play Too? by Mo Willems, 2010

Co-worker Kim also found this book.  She picked it up at the Whaley UMC garage sale when I was looking for kids' books for Kylie's baby shower.  I have since passed the book on to my Uncle Doug for his grandchildren.  I thought that the story was really clever, and it didn't go the way I thought it was going to go.  The sarcasm really made me L.O.L.  And the baby shower in Tuttle, Oklahoma, was nice.  I picked a different book to give to the mother-to-be.  Kylie was our rodeo queen a few years back.

No comments: