Monday, January 29, 2007

Catholic for a Reason III have finished reading my Decemberween present from Michelle. (photo link will take you to another blogger's opinion on the book) For the second time, actually. Well, sort of. This is the 2nd edition of the original 2000 publication. I read the 1st edition back in 2001. Updated in 2004 to include the Luminous Mysteries of the rosary, this book by a collection of authors presents the RCC's position on why the Church is Marian. Sigh. Alright. First of all. The point of the mother of the king in Israel's history makes wonderful sense. Yes, when the queen mother would ask for something, her son the king would listen. It's just so...I mean...grrr...well, the book's main objective seems to be to enlighten Protestants. They miss the main points that I would think are the most important. Jesus said, "This, then, is how you should pray: "Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name..." We're supposed to pray to our Father, not our mother. Also, the last thing Mary is recorded as saying in Scripture is at the wedding at Cana where she says to the servants at the wedding, "Do whatever he tells you." That is as much to us as it was to the servants, and I believe that is now and always has been the only message that Mary wants us to hear from her. Those are the 2 points that I would say. As far as the difference in this edition to the 1st, they did a poor job. Doesn't it make sense for the Luminous Mysteries to be listed after the Joyful Mysteries, since that would be more along the lines with historical context? But maybe it's time for a 3rd edition. Because Cardinal Ratzinger is now Pope Ratzinger. They used quotes from him a number of times. Happy Decemberween. And BTW...I love Mary. I respect her and admire her, and I honor her as queen...except that I live in a democracy. I have no concept of queens. In my mind, a queen is just someone who is no different than the rest of us except that the Brits listen to her every word. And she gets whatever she wants as soon as she rings for it. Must be nice. "Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy..."

No comments: