Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Click for Listing on ChristianBook.com"God Is Closer Than You Think" is what we are currently going through on Wednesday nights in our small group. Previously we went through Ortberg's "...Walk on Water..." book. I liked this one better. One of the main reason is that, well, I could tell exactly where the water walking book was going. Too predictable. This one was able to cover more territory, even though I don't like how the author went and dissed cats. But that was early in the book, and I forgave him by the time I got to the end. I have to admit, there was one section of this book that I really needed to hear. Well, two parts, I guess. Chapter 7 is on Spiritual Pathways. It's a reminder that we don't all worship or seek God in the same ways, and THAT'S OK. Then Chapter 9 is...and 10...alright, so, basically I recommend the last four chapters. The first six might be helpful to some folks, but I wasn't feelin' 'em. Anyway, he quotes C.S. Lewis who said, "...each of the redeemed shall forever know and praise some one aspect of the Divine beauty better than any other creature can. Why else were individuals created, but that God, loving all infinitely, should love each differently?" One thing I don't like about this book and the other of his is how most of the pages have circles containing a short phrase from that page in it. I guess I'm easily distracted 'cause I keep trying to re-read that "important" point as I go. I like straight text - maybe some pictures - but no extra side notes like a website. But otherwise the content in this book was very good.

Sooo...the Lenten season is upon us. I forgot and had a very tasty BBQ sandwich at Billy Bob's on Friday night, but every day is a new day! Yeah, I'm attempting to do the traditional meat-less Fridays. I have some other things to work on, but they don't involve dietary issues. I'll be back tomorrow with another post, believe it or not.

No comments: