Thursday, July 23, 2009

Yes, I know, I should probably be getting that thing ready to send to those people, but...argh. Ok, fine. I'll be right back. Priorities. Poo on them.

Ok, there we go. Mission accomplished. Now the world can rest easier.

Toxic Deception"Toxic Deception: How the Chemical Industry Manipulates Science, Bends the Law and Endangers Your Health" was written by Dan Fagin and Marianne Lavelle in 1999. On page 3, the book says, "Humans have had millions of years to evolve ways of metabolizing naturally occurring toxins. We are badly overmatched by synthetic chemicals that typically are only a generation of two old, a mere eyeblink on the time scale of human evolution." I said, "Wow," and I nearly put the book down, but I seriously had nothing else to do that day 'cause some dim-wit had cut a main cable somewhere between Gainesville and civilization, so I had no phone or net. I found this book in the bossman's office. Some of the information is kinda valuable, I guess, if you work on environmental-type stuff. I pretty much stay out of that corner of the business. But the book didn't convince me. I still take the side of Industry, for the most part. I guess that's what makes me so Republican. Well, and I also understand the farmers point of view. The book takes 4 chemicals to evaluate, and two of those are used by farmers - Alaclor (herbicide) and Atrazine (pesticide). And one or two dizzy farmers who use the stuff wrong - who cares, right? But then you have to consider how the stuff gets into the drinking water. And then I have to admit, well, yes, our planet is dying. It wasn't always here, and it won't always be here. So why stress so much over that fact? Unless you're talking about stewardship and stuff. But if we're gonna get into that, look at my big, fat car that guzzles gas and leaks oil! And what about our house that we keep air-conditioned all day, even though no one is there, just so that it'll be cool when we get home?? And why are we still sending hard copies of reports when a tree could be saved??!!?? Blah, this was not really a fun book at all.

And so...Well...On a much happier note, I had a blast last weekend out at the Grasslands. We did a 2-part multi-cache with the horses. We saw 2 deer and 0 snakes. If only I could figure out how to rig a bareback pad the way I want it. I think Cheaney might be able to help me. I went in there today, and it wasn't Bruce that I talked to, but the guy knew my name! What in the world?? I always forget how famous I am ;) The reality there is that I look ever-so-very much like my mother, and she recently took my saddle in to have it serviced, and it just happens to have my name across the back. Aren't you glad that there's an explanation for everything?

No comments: