Saturday, September 25, 2010

The Return of the Prodigal SonLord Have Mercy"Lord Have Mercy: The Healing Power of Confession" was written by Scott Hahn in 2003. "The Return of the Prodigal Son: A Story of Homecoming" was written by Henri J.M. Nouwen in 1994. I just finished reading the Hahn book, but it reminded me of the Nouwen book, although I can't recall when I read that one. I'm not even positive that I finished it. It was prolly one of those deals at someone's house where I got it off the shelf and just read what I could while I was there. I don't think it was for a class. Perhaps it was at the LeTU library. I wish I had their collection here. Anyway, this is sort of a double book review. But it shouldn't be a comparison. The Hahn book is more about theology and reason, and the Nouwen book was about the feelings and perceptions of each character in the story. The picture on the cover was done by Rembrandt Harmenszoon van Rijn in 1668. The picture on Hahn's book was done by Bartolomé Esteban Murillo in 1667. Wow, huh? About the same time. Did the artists know each other? Did they see the other's paintings? Hmmm, I think I'm getting a bit distracted from the actual books. Yeah. Confession. Ooo, pretty pictures...

No comments: