Monday, October 04, 2010

John & Hattie YostenThis is John Albert Yosten Jr. and Hedwig "Hattie" Marie Endres, and I assume this was their wedding picture. It was taken 05/08/1906. He was born in Nebraska, and she was born in Wisconsin. They moved to Muenster, and they are the parents of my Grandma Hess, Dad's mom, Leona "Bonnie" Rosalie Yosten who was born in 1921. John & Hattie both died in the 1940s. So these are my great-grandparents. I post this picture today because it is old, and I presume that it was taken in a time before chivalry was dead. Although I discovered yesterday that it just might not be. See, I went to church, and I was in the Sunday school room and picked out a chair to sit in next to a kind-looking gentleman. Well, I hesitated for a second 'cause I was just about to ask if someone was sitting there, and he stood up! You know, like they do on TV, where a lady comes to the table and all the men stand up 'til she sits down?? Well, that's what he was doing. I'm pretty sure my jaw dropped, and I definitely froze for...well, milliseconds 'cause I did need to sit down, but. Yeow-zah. My eyes feel like they still have a shocked look to them. I wanted to thank him, but they never do that in the movies. Then I wanted to run away because it was like, um, what just happened?? The odd thing is that I'd been thinking just this week about how that just doesn't happen in real life. I dunno that I've ever seen it before outside of old movies where folks dressed up for dinner. And if I have seen it in real life, it's certainly never happened to ME. So, guys, even though I don't think I have any male readers, I just want ya'll to know how much that sort of thing means to a gal. Like when you take your hat off when you come in a house or sit down to eat. Or like when you go out of your way to hold a door open. And the funny thing is, while I'm far from being a feminist, I like to take my hat off for prayers and for the national anthem. Folks say I don't have to 'cause I'm a girl. That one just doesn't make sense to me. Don't I need to show respect, too? Or am I taking something away from the men by doing that? Am I a murderer of chivalry? Anyway. All this to say...I'm still a little bit in shock, but it's a happy sort of shock.

No comments: