Friday, January 21, 2011

USAThe Constitution of the United States was written on September 17, 1787. They gave us all copies at the thing on Saturday, and I read mine. It also includes the 27 amendments and the Declaration of Independence. It does make one wonder what the founders saw for the future. Was it this? I thought the part in Article I Section 8 was particularly interesting. It says, "[The Congress shall have Power] to raise and support Armies, but no Appropriation of Money to that Use shall be for a longer Term than two Years; To provide and maintain a Navy; ...To provide for calling forth the Militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions..." It sounds like the founders didn't imagine us with a constant standing army. Of course, that was long before people could even imagine an air force. But still. Do they vote every 2 years to fund the Army? I expect they prolly do. And I suppose I like feeling safe. But I don't like feeling broke. And broke is what we are. The trick is that we believe that we're so powerful militarily that it doesn't matter how much we're in debt or to whom. Someone needs to tell them that it takes money to run a military. Rant rant, rave rave...and they wonder why my generation has so much apathy toward the situation.

The Lady A tickets are already spoken for, so you missed out. Too bad for you! But that's still 2 weeks away. I don't see much on the agenda for this weekend. I do know one interesting thing...Julia Roberts is supposedly staying in Gainesville tonight at Miss Olivias. They say she's gonna tour some of the Victorian homes while she's in town, but her main reason for being in the area is a movie premier in Dallas this weekend. I can't figure out what movie that might be, since her current one, "Larry Crowne" doesn't come out until July. Anyhow. That's about as exciting as it gets in Gainesville. You know it.

No comments: