Thursday, April 21, 2011

Joseph's CoatThe Tyler roses on Sunday were great, but these are from our own yard. I brought them home from Tyler a year or two ago. We planted 6 new rose plants yesterday around the light pole. I'll prolly take a picture if they all decide to bloom. Perhaps the rain last night will help. Grr. Volleyball last night gave me one of them there neck twinges. I performed a backwards twist move combined with a shoulder...something. Anyway, isn't pain nice? Exactly. So, happy Maundy Thursday. And of course, once again, I have forgotten what "maundy" means, so...
..the English word Maundy is derived through Middle English, and Old French mandé, from the Latin mandatum, the first word of the phrase "Mandatum novum do vobis ut diligatis invicem sicut dilexi vos" ("A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you"), the statement by Jesus in the Gospel of John (13:34) by which Jesus explained to the Apostles the significance of his action of washing their feet. The phrase is used as the antiphon sung during the "Mandatum" ceremony of the washing of the feet... en.wikipedia.org
So there you have it. A new mandate. Because He first loved us. When He said that line, his apostles still didn't know the extent of the love that He was about to show them.

No comments: