Monday, February 27, 2012

RangerLike a smoker on an oxygen tank. That's my horse. He just keeps on eating. We have a large amount of green grass this year, and all the ponies are a little bit fatter than they need to be, but Ranger is taking it to the extreme. He has eaten himself into poor health, equine obesity, and he's showing signs of founder. We've taken him off the grass now, but I don't think there's going to be a quick fix to this one. See, what happens is a horse can get a carbohydrate overload, and that makes some kind of toxin too high in their blood, and that toxin makes a bone inside their hoof rotate so that the toe points down. Ranger's trying to walk heel-toe on his front left leg to take the pressure off that toe. So with a change of diet will come a time of waiting and hoping that the hoof will correct itself. Our farrier will also be able to help with corrective trimming, although I'm sure he's gonna give us an earful for letting this happen in the first place. I kinda wanna give Ranger an earful for being such a hog, but I reckon that'd kinda be calling the kettle black. However, I do not have laminitis from my over eating, so there. Ranger will be 16 years old in a couple weeks - like 50 in people years. I am 30. You'd think we'd know better by now.

No comments: