Sunday, November 15, 2015

I borrowed this book from my mother quite a while ago - maybe at the beginning of Summer - and it has taken me a long time to finish. "The Last Addiction: Why Self-Help Is Not Enough" was written by Sharon A. Hersh in 2008. The main premise is that the last addiction is our thought that we can fix it ourselves. The book is written with a Christian perspective, but it doesn't stay in the spiritual realm the entire time. I did like this book, and the author's own story of her battle with an alcohol addiction is quite interesting. Folks probably would assume that I have no addictions since I seem to be functioning relatively well in my little world, but I would consider #1 my struggle with eating more than I should. #2 would be an addiction to a particular way of thinking in my mind - the despair and hopelessness. Even this book that covers a wide range of different addictions doesn't consider how depression is simply a series of bad mental habits. At least that's how I see depression. It's an addiction to a certain way of thinking. But I am going deeper here than I intended. I am happy that I have finally finished another book and that it only took me about a week to get around to writing my review this time. I also finished another book - something about Minnie Mouse and waiting for puppies to be born - but I can't quite remember the title. It was just as good as this addiction book, so that's my double review for you. Two for the price of one.

No comments: