Sunday, June 04, 2017

Who would have thought that a book with such a silly premise would be so inspiring. Oh, it's not quite inspiring enough to go down in history as a classic, but it's a really fun story that made me consider how there MIGHT be life beyond 35. Or even 100! Eeesh, I not even HALFWAY there... 0_o "The 100-Year-Old-Man Who Climbed out the Window and Disappeared" (2009) was written in Swedish by Jonas Jonasson and translated to English in 2012. Nancy loaned me this one. It was made into a movie (click on the picture for the trailer), and I'd like to see it. Yessir, my own 100th birthday seems unattainable. So many long days to get through before then! And my days do pass fairly slowly. There's lots of loneliness and unhappiness, although there are plenty of people in my life, and I have pretty much everything that I want. Alan Karlsson, the main character in the book, has an unfailing positive outlook on life. When you're talking about glass-half-full kinds of people, I would be the one who says that the glass will be empty eventually, so why bother discussing the contents? Yup, that kind of thinking probably won't help me get to the year 2081. In Genesis 6:3, "Then the LORD said, "My Spirit will not contend with humans forever, for they are mortal; their days will be a hundred and twenty years." So that means that 2101 should be the limit to my time here. I'm glad there's a limit. Even so, this book made me imagine for a short while that perhaps the future isn't all bleak.

No comments: